Thursday, November 11, 2010

Thankful

watercolor sketch 11/10/10

Man!  I just read this post from Lisa and it really got me nostalgic for my son.  I am so happy that I got to spend 4 days with him over his Fall Break; I really needed that.  It's hardest this time of year around the holidays for a couple of reasons.  One, for me, the holidays are all about family and even though I get to see him just about every holiday, it reminds me more and more that it's just holidays (and part of the summer).  And two, this is the time of year that I moved away.

As always, I know this is logically necessary, but that just doesn't make me feel better.  I've always been prone to feeling more with my heart and thinking less with my rational mind; that's what makes me who I am.  But it also makes it really hard for this Virgo to "stay strong" when tough things are going on around me.  And I'm right in the middle of this one and have been for three years.

But since Thanksgiving is the next holiday for me, I'd like to focus on some of the things that I am thankful for in this particular situation.  I am thankful for Quentin's step mom; her love and generosity are a large reason that this whole situation is working out.  I am thankful that Quentin's dad and I have found peace in our relationship so that we can co-parent, if even from afar.  I am thankful for my sisters; they keep me sane through laughter and tears.  I am thankful for my momma; she is the epitome of strength and vitality even while battling a terminal illness.  I am thankful for Bob, for loving my mom with every fiber of his being.  I am thankful for my dad; even though we may not see eye to eye on a lot of things, he has always had my best interest in mind and only wants to see me happy.

I am thankful for so much more, but it just doesn't get much better than family.

2 comments: