Monday, December 20, 2010

Beyond Making the Art

Prompt: Beyond avoidance. What should you have done this year but didn't because you were too scared, worried, unsure, busy or otherwise deterred from doing? (Bonus: Will you do it?)
Prompt Author: Jake Nickell
The Threadless Book
@skaw


I'm pretty sure, for me, this goes back to my art.  I have this paralyzing fear/terror that no one will like it.  When my sister feels that way about her photography or the handbags she makes, I often tell her she is silly for thinking such  things!  I think they are fantastic and that she is extremely talented.  But I also totally empathize with her on her fears because I have a lot of the same ones.

I suppose we all have fears that manifest in one way or another- especially us creative types!  When we create, it is often from the soul, and that is scary to put yourself out there like that.  A lot of Reverbers are writers (I, in no way, claim to be!) and I think their writing is fantastic, but I often hear about people being scared to push that "Publish" button.

I tend to go over my post with a quick scan for grammatical and spelling errors but rarely "re-write" or "edit" anything (much like Brooke Farmer).  I like for my writing to be raw and emotional and even boring sometimes because that is how my life is.  Writing, for me, is just kind of an extension of a basic human need, for me.  But for some reason, art can become so scary to put out there.  Hmmm.  I gotta' explore that more, I guess. 

So I suppose my point here is that if I'm that resistant to something that I know would only be good for me, I think I need to try it.  I need to stop avoiding the excuses, face them head on, and tackle this monster so it becomes less scary to me.  Okay, 2011, I guess you will be the year of the heART.  Shit.  I'm scared.


this post a part of Reverb10: Reverb 10 is an annual event and online initiative to reflect on your year and manifest what’s next. Use the end of your year as an opportunity to reflect on what's happened, and to send out reverberations for the year ahead.


3 comments:

  1. Great post, Emily. In no way am I a writer (or an artist), but I know that fear of hitting "publish" - putting oneself out there. Shit, we're all scared so you are not alone! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wishing you the scariest year ever!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shannon, thanks for the continued support:)

    Michelle, thank you;)

    ReplyDelete