Thursday, December 9, 2010

Celebration and Love

Prompt: Party. What social gathering rocked your socks off in 2010? Describe the people, music, food, drink, clothes, shenanigans.
Prompt Author: Shauna Reid
The Amazing Adventures of Diet Girl
@shauna

In January, our mom was diagnosed with Stage IV Lung Cancer (she's not a smoker and is actually one of the healthiest women I know on this earth).  The diagnosis has been devastating, as Lung Cancer is one of the deadliest and it has already spread.  But nothing, and I mean nothing, slows this woman down.  She still participates in life with joy, reverence, and wonder, and is SO one of my biggest heroes. 



This Spring, she married her long-time boyfriend, and I gained two new sisters (though it's never been a piece of paper that has always made them feel like family).  They had a small ceremony at their house, but planned a big soiree in mid-summer for the rest of family and friends to join in celebration.  My mom had retired from teaching music two years ago and her husband decided to retire this year (also from teaching music- I swear, they are the cutest couple!) so they wanted to have a "getting-married-and-happy-retirement-party".


The party happened in earlyJuly and boy were we having some scorchers here in St. Louis!  Knowing my naturally wavy hair doesn't play well with humidity, I decided to do a "side-braid-bun" sort of deal.  I wore a black dress I got on clearance at Target months before that I never had found an occasion to wear.  And the best part- my son was here with me to celebrate. 

We got to my mom's house around 6:00pm and the sun still seemed fairly high in the sky (unlike right now when it gets dark at 3:30pm).  The heat had subsided by the time we had arrived and the fireflies made for a wonderful light show at dusk.  There were over 100 people there.  I got to see relatives I hadn't seen in a while, good friends of my mom, my sisters and their significant others, and the beaming bride and groom seemed to rarely leave each other's side. 

I gave a toast to my mom and her new husband; I can't even remember what I said because it was a spur of the moment thing and I think I started tearing up a bit.  Their love inspires me beyond words and that love is what made this party so special.  All of my mom's friends from their different walks of life, standing there, supporting her, made me extra sappy.

I got to talk to a lot of people and tell them how meaningful their presence was at this occasion- an opportunity I might not have otherwise had.  It was a beautiful night and one I will never forget. 

this post a part of Reverb10: Reverb 10 is an annual event and online initiative to reflect on your year and manifest what’s next. Use the end of your year as an opportunity to reflect on what's happened, and to send out reverberations for the year ahead.

7 comments:

  1. It sounds beautiful. Hope that your mom is doing well and that this wedding has truely brought joy into your family's lives.

    ps Your eyes are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you:) After six rounds of chemo, the tumor in her lung actually shrunk 75%. A LOT of positive energy has been sent her way and she deserves every morsel!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm really enjoying reading your posts, Emily. You shine.

    Sounds like this was a wonderful party!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Cali:) Loving Reverb10!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a lovely post. I can just see the fireflies. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh... one of those "heart so full you can physically feel it" days. Lovely. My wish for you is that you will have this for yourself some day sooner than later :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Shannon, thanks- it was truly magical!

    CS, Thank you- what a sweet, sweet wish;)

    ReplyDelete