Thursday, December 23, 2010

I'm Emily, Nice to Meet You

Prompt: New name. Let's meet again, for the first time. If you could introduce yourself to strangers by another name for just one day, what would it be and why?
Prompt Author: Becca Wilcott
Truly, Madly, Deadly: The Unofficial True Blood Companion
@beccawilcott

I took a walk today.  My apartment is just a few blocks from the home I grew up in, but the neighborhoods are worlds apart.  Feeling a bit nostalgic today and took some crappy cell phone pics, but I'm totally including them:


I already feel like I've been so many different versions of myself:

In elementary school and junior high, I was the ethnic minority and my family probably earned in the top 5% compared to my classmates.
jungle gym at my elementary school

In high school, I was in the ethnic majority, but my family probably earned in the lower 5% compared to my classmates.
my childhood home
I know, right?!?

In college, again, I was in the ethnic majority, but my family fell somewhere in the middle as far as finances go.

In college.2, I was ethnically somewhere in the middle, technically impoverished, and raising a son on my own; we had food stamps and medicaid.  Miraculously, I graduated with a 3.7.

For a while, in my professional life, I didn't make a whole lot (I was a teacher), but I could finally pay my bills without having to borrow money or rely on government assistance.

Now, I'm impoverished again due to my disability, and am again on food stamps and medicaid.  For the past couple of years, I have been ashamed of this- no longer.

winter sky and the city hall halfway between my childhood home and my current apartment

I am choosing to live without shame.  I'm someone who works hard- really hard.  I do what I can, and unfortunately, now, I have to learn how to live with my limitations (and even challenge those limitations sometimes).

All of these situations have made me who I am today. I am grateful for all of them; without them, I don't think I'd be able to empathize with many people and I really enjoy connecting with all kinds of souls, despite my hermit ways.

My name is Emily, it's nice to meet you.  I've been in many different financial situations.  Ethnically, I am who I am- that should be plenty.  I have a heart of gold (and it's very, very soft on the inside) but don't even think about messing with my family; I believe in karma.  I'm not perfect and I'm tired of trying to be (so I'm going to stop).  I do my best and I have dreams and aspirations just like all of you.  I will never stop trying to figure things out- it's in my blood, in my soul.  I am a truth seeker.

this post a part of Reverb10: Reverb 10 is an annual event and online initiative to reflect on your year and manifest what’s next. Use the end of your year as an opportunity to reflect on what's happened, and to send out reverberations for the year ahead.

8 comments:

  1. I was wondering where you were today. Glad you made it. Nice to meet you Emily.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved reading this. We truth seekers need to hang together, always - without worrying about those things like nasty and meaningless financial labels.

    Would rather simply be... Emily and Julie. So grateful to meet you!

    And now to introduct myself....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the walk darling :) It's funny how this prompt gets you thinking about where you come from. For me, I think maybe it was all the name calling in grade school ;P

    ReplyDelete
  4. Choosing to live without shame- yes! I'm so glad you took us on this journey with you. Nice to meet you, Emily!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yawps, I'd love to hang out with you AND your (not so)alter-ego:)

    Julie- good to meet you, too:)

    CS, this whole reverb10 thing has cracked me wide open- thinkin' about SO MUCH of where I came from and how it's made me who I am today.

    Muse, I'm glad, too;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very pleased to meet you Emily! Your heart of gold sparkles in all your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I must've missed this post when I was on my self-imposed internet hiatus. It's lovely and I totally agree with Bob - your heart of gold shines through in every word you write. So nice to meet you, Emily. I feel really fortunate!

    ReplyDelete