Monday, December 6, 2010

I'm Lame.

Prompt: Make. What was the last thing you made? What materials did you use? Is there something you want to make, but you need to clear some time for it?

Prompt Author: Gretchen Rubin
The Happiness Project
@gretchenrubin





So... I'm an artist, right?  I'm a creative soul.  Uh-huh.

Why then, have I been dragging ass ALL DAY just to get through the day.  This is my prompt.  This is the one I'm supposed to excel at. 

But you see, all the vibrations and good energy I've been getting from the Reverb peeps had me buzzin' last night and I couldn't sleep. 

I wanted to spruce up my blog for any new visitors.  I wanted to understand Twitter more, so I researched (still not sure I've got the etiquette down).  I wanted to scheme and plan on what great piece of art I would MAKE today for today's "MAKE" prompt.

Wanna' know what happened?  I stayed up all night (I was also in quite a bit of pain- oh excuses, excuses, I know!) in anticipation of making today a stellar day so that I could impress y'all with an amazing post.  Mmnh hmn.  My sister picked me up for a business meeting and I got more and more slap happy at her house (read: singing Xmas carols at the top of my lungs in a faux opera voice) until I couldn't even perform the simplest of functions. 

Seriously- I couldn't figure out how to resize pics to post on etsy (something I've done several times before).  Right before the tears came from realizing my own lame-ness, my little sis told me to just walk away from the computer and take a break.

I followed her sage advice and just as I was dropping off into a little nap, my phone rang.  It was my son (who rarely calls me); he called to tell me to check my facebook wall (another thing, he will rarely communicate publicly with me on FB, I think it's his age).  I wouldn't have answered that phone for any other soul on earth at that point in my delirium.  And I'm so glad I did.

On my wall was a hilarious picture with a written reference to a game of Balderdash we all played over the Thanksgiving holiday.  I laughed so hard and in that moment, all stress and anxiety of having to "impress" anyone went right out the window.  I may make things a lot but this kid is by far, the best thing I've made to date. 

Now... off to bed for me; I'm up early to see the orthopaedic surgeon for a follow up appointment.  I promise, I will post more things I make- just not tonight!

this post a part of Reverb10: Reverb 10 is an annual event and online initiative to reflect on your year and manifest what’s next. Use the end of your year as an opportunity to reflect on what's happened, and to send out reverberations for the year ahead.

7 comments:

  1. Oh, I can so relate to this. The buzz that reading the reverb posts gives me makes me feel I've enough energy to go all night. And then the crash the next day. You describe it well with honesty and humor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. reverb kind of feels like dating again, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. my sons are twenty something and want nothing to do with public displays of FB affection. LOL I love reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just went back and read this post, Emily. Just beautiful. So glad that I found your blog. You are an inspirational artist, writer and MOM. :)

    ReplyDelete