Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Joy and Pain

Prompt: Ordinary joy. Our most profound joy is often experienced during ordinary moments. What was one of your most joyful ordinary moments this year?
Prompt Author: Brené Brown
The Gifts of Imperfection: Let Go of Who You Think You're Supposed to Be and Embrace Who You Are
@brenebrown



I remember "playing" with my son in my sister's pool this summer and thoroughly enjoying every minute of it.  It was an above ground pool and my sister had to remind us over and over again that we couldn't be too active or it might fall apart!  So we made up games and I timed him to see how long he could hold his breath under water and we existed together, quietly, while we floated on rafts.  These are the times I hold dear to my heart.




Prompt: Achieve. What’s the thing you most want to achieve next year? How do you imagine you’ll feel when you get it? Free? Happy? Complete? Blissful? Write that feeling down. Then, brainstorm 10 things you can do, or 10 new thoughts you can think, in order to experience that feeling today.
Prompt Author: Tara Sophia Mohr
The Women's Seder Sourcebook: Rituals & Readings for Use at the Passover Seder
@tarasophia




I know it sounds cliche, but I really want to achieve balance, physically.  I want to learn how to find that happy medium where my body can handle some sort of activity that will benefit my mind, body, and soul every day. 

Too often, I either feel like I'm too stagnant or I am overdoing it.  And with my physical condition, overdoing it can lead to days, if not weeks, of needing to be inactive to heal.  This is such a frustrating cycle and it often throws me off course.  I believe I would feel like I could accomplish a lot more if I could count on my body feeling something of an equilibrium of wellness.

10 Things:
- go off of the painkillers (except for surgeries) so that I can listen to my body in a more authentic way
- yoga regularly
- listen to my body when it has had enough (easier said than done)
- walk - 20 minutes seems to be my "middle", where I can find that equilibrium; it's so easy to want to push myself to do more, though.  I used to be a runner and loved the feeling I would get after a great run.
- push myself to do something creative every day- even if that means just "mindless" doodling in my journal for five minutes
- some sort of positive affirmations of health and wellness before falling asleep and immediately upon awakening, such as "I am feeling whole" or "I am pain free"
- meditation, maybe one kind (intention, mantra, or mindfulness based, etc) in the morning and a different kind in the evening
- writing down my goals (daily, weekly, monthly, yearly)
- continue going to therapy
- eating better- I eat pretty well, but know I could cut out a lot more sugar and preservatives (oh, chocolate, why do I love you so???)

this post a part of Reverb10: Reverb 10 is an annual event and online initiative to reflect on your year and manifest what’s next. Use the end of your year as an opportunity to reflect on what's happened, and to send out reverberations for the year ahead.







2 comments:

  1. "we existed together, quietly" - Those are the sweetest moments indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bob, I think this is what life is all about. And if not, it's pretty sweet anyways;)

    ReplyDelete