Saturday, December 11, 2010

Me? Wisdom?

Prompt: Wisdom. What was the wisest decision you made this year, and how did it play out?
Prompt Author: Susannah Conway
Unravelling
@photobird

Let me just preface this with the fact that I've made some really smart decisions in my life, and some really dumb ones, too.  But I really don't feel qualified to post as someone who has made a wise decision this past year, let alone, in her life.
Have you ever met a kid who seems light years past his/her age and you just know that they are an "old soul"?  Yeah, well, that's my son.  Don't get me wrong- he's still a kid, and he can definitely still be that typical 12 year old that thinks he's too cool for school, but he's also human.  And I don't try to put him on a pedestal, I just try to learn from him sometimes. 

So... let's put it this way:  This past year, the smartest decision (and maybe wisest, if you want to say that), was probably me choosing to move forward in my life and stop waiting for my situation to magically "change".  These past few years have been fraught with various medical tests, rotating doctors in a clinic (didn't have health insurance), severe pain, and very few answers.

After my mom's diagnosis, I decided to stop wasting time waiting for others to figure out what is wrong with me and I started to figure out what was right with me- to quiet the limitations and just start moving.  Moving physically, emotionally, mentally, and even spiritually.  Some days I excel in one of those areas and the others take a back seat.  Some days I'm rollin' on all four.  And some days, I can't even muster the energy to do well in just one of those areas. 

But I've made my choice, and that is to step out of limbo and get the most out of life that I possibly can.  I've got my strong, positive mother to thank for her example and I've got my son who keeps me going in the fight to be a great role model for him.  I've got the tools within me.  It's easy to give up.  It's hard to keep going in the face of adversity.  And... apparently, I like it the hard way.



this post a part of Reverb10: Reverb 10 is an annual event and online initiative to reflect on your year and manifest what’s next. Use the end of your year as an opportunity to reflect on what's happened, and to send out reverberations for the year ahead.

2 comments:

  1. "choosing to move forward in my life and stop waiting for my situation to magically change" - Hey, that was the gist of #11 on my list today, i.e. that I need to stop waiting around for things to happen and instead get out and MAKE things happen.

    Good to hear you're moving, on all levels. Life is movement. Wise indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bob, I guess that's what attracted me to this whole Reverb thing. I'm ready. And I haven't been ready for a while, but I am now! Thank you for your comment:)

    ReplyDelete