Saturday, December 25, 2010

My Smile, My Self

Prompt: Photo - a present to yourself. Sift through all the photos of you from the past year. Choose one that best captures you; either who you are, or who you strive to be. Find the shot of you that is worth a thousand words. Share the image, who shot it, where, and what it best reveals about you.

Prompt Author: Tracey Clark
Expressive Photography: The Shutter Sisters' Guide to Shooting from the Heart
@shuttersisters


I hate, hate, HATE having my picture taken.  I have two extremely photogenic sisters and tend to "freeze up" whenever there is a photo op.

Two weeks after having my right hip replaced, I got on a Greyhound to visit my son for his Fall Break.  It had been a couple of years since I had seen any of my friends in Indianapolis, so I made it a point to see a few of them at a park in my son's neighborhood while I was in town. 

 I wanted to get a pic of all of us together, so my son offered to take the photo.  He knows how I feel about cameras and tries to get candids of me from time to time.  He snapped this one in between "takes" and I didn't notice it until I got home a few days later.

I love that I'm smiling, laughing at something one of us said, and that my son was there with us to capture it all.  I have missed my friends so much and forgot what a great support they were to me while I was living there.  They were like a family to me and upon seeing them again, it was like no time had passed.

Laughing and smiling is how I like to roll, though I don't always have that opportunity (especially living alone).  But this is how I see myself- without the awkwardness, with love and laughter in my heart, and surrounded by some of the best people I know.

this post a part of Reverb10: Reverb 10 is an annual event and online initiative to reflect on your year and manifest what’s next. Use the end of your year as an opportunity to reflect on what's happened, and to send out reverberations for the year ahead.

6 comments:

  1. I love how real this moment is. Genuine. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful smile for a beautiful moment shared with your son and friends. Thanks for sharing it with us. TO much more joy in 2011! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Laughing photos are my most favorite things... this is a gorgeous photo! Thanks for sharing it with us!
    @libismorgan #reverb10

    ReplyDelete
  4. Life After Benjamin, thank you:)

    CC, thanks!

    Shannon, thanks- and here's to more JOY in 2011!

    Skinny Doll, thanks for visiting:)

    Lizz, I have too few; maybe I'll have more next year. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete