Monday, December 13, 2010

Baking... and Some Action

Prompt: Action. When it comes to aspirations, its not about ideas. It's about making ideas happen. What's your next step?
Prompt Author: Scott Belsky
Making Ideas Happen
@scottbelsky

Hmmm.  I opened this prompt last night in my email account and have had all day to think about it.  Yet it's leaving me stumped.  All I can think about right now is the wonderful day I just had with my mom and sisters.  We spent the day baking four different kinds of cookies.



When my mom broke out her old rolling pin and flour cloth, it immediately took all three of us girls back to our childhood home when we used to watch our mother carefully sift the flour, lovingly knead the dough, evenly roll it out, and cut out little gingerbread men and women.  Then she'd take the leftover molasses outside with her and pour little shapes in the snow.  When it hardened, it was our own little "Little House on the Prairie" treat to eat!



Our mom loves snow; we had a tradition growing up on the first snowfall of the season.  She would wake us up super early (she's a morning person and all three of us girls are night owls, so this made for some interesting winter mornings sometimes!) and make us run around our house, outside, barefoot, the number of times of however many years old we were.  As children, this was fun and exciting.  As teenagers, it became downright torture.  And as adults, we miss it.


I think I mentioned in my Thanksgiving post that I hate cooking.  I can do it, I just loathe it; don't know why, but I do.  Well, I just so happen to LOVE baking and remember learning a lot from my momma as a child.  It kinda' amazed me, what I remembered today about certain aspects, and how I was able to teach my sisters (who are both great cooks) a little something.  Because I have such sucky short-term memory, I already forget what knowledge I actually contributed today, but I know it was something- maybe even a couple somethings.



My next step is to have more moments like today.  I want to share more moments with my mom and my sisters all together (it's like one big ADD firestorm when we are all together and oh, so much fun!), but I also want to feel knowledgeable about something again.  Even though I'm a college graduate, it's been a while since I felt I have been able to contribute- in many ways. 




I plan to become part "small business owner" with my little sis when we go big and legal with our company.  I plan on learning more things from my mom, like swimming strokes and water exercise (now that my doc has cleared me for the pool, I want to resume this practice, even though it is an early morning one).  I plan on finding a way that I can volunteer to make art with kids- this is one I've been thinking about ever since I left the teaching world.  And I plan to make my own personal art-making a priority.



I've got several action steps in place and even have a good start on some of these ideas.  This year has been extremely tough emotionally, but I find that some of the best growth comes from struggle and pain.  To 2011 being the year of action- I hope for all my friends and reverb10-er's wishes, goals and dreams, along with my own, to come true!

this post a part of Reverb10: Reverb 10 is an annual event and online initiative to reflect on your year and manifest what’s next. Use the end of your year as an opportunity to reflect on what's happened, and to send out reverberations for the year ahead.

5 comments:

  1. Some of the best growth comes from struggle and pain- absolutely true as long as you get through it and let it go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my, it sounds like a lot of fun having the three of you in a room together!

    Fyi... elementary schools are always super stoked about free art activities offered by free people! And the kids love it when it's something completely new and challenging and looks like Real Art when they're done

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brooke, good point! Sometimes getting through it is so hard, but it's so worth it to come out on the other side, smiling.

    CS, It's way fun, but way overwhelming for outsiders. My sisters' fiances have to take us all in small doeses;) Great idea about the schools- I'm not a morning person (which made teaching all that much harder!), but after school activities would love me:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great pictures! I love the scene that you share here.

    I absolutely agree that "some of the best growth comes from struggle and pain." The steps you describe will offer a lot to you and the world around you. I look forward to reading more about them in your future posts!

    I hope we get a big snow this year. I want to make my own Little House on the Prairie moment too! I'd forgotten about that. Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, Muse;) That frozen molasses is so good!

    ReplyDelete