Sunday, December 12, 2010

Let It Flow, Let Yourself Go

Prompt: Body integration. This year, when did you feel the most integrated with your body? Did you have a moment where there wasn't mind and body, but simply a cohesive YOU, alive and present?

Prompt Author: Patrick Reynolds
The Knowledge Workers Survival Guide
@patrickcantype



95% of the time, I'm in physical pain. 70% of the time, I'm moderately uncomfortable. 50% of the time I have to consciously try things to reduce the pain.  And 25% of the time, I'm begging for mercy.

You wouldn't know it by just looking at me, but pain is a part of almost every minute of my day.  Also, like I said, a quarter of the time, I wish that I didn't even have a body anymore.  I know that sounds rash, but pain can take up a lot of mental and emotional energy.  It can rob you of a "normal" life.  It can dictate what you are able to do and how well you are able to do it.  It can also be really hard to integrate the body and mind when this is the case.  But I'm not writing this post to talk about the pain.

No- I'm writing about the 5% of the time where I don't feel pain- and that feels like heaven on earth to me.  This is when my body and mind feel integrated and I don't even "think" about physical sensations.  There are a few times that I can count on this, for the most part, but it's always a balance and a gamble, so I have to choose my activities wisely, or the pain can jump back around to bite me in the ass (actually my ass is one of the places I never feel pain!).



1.  At the end of a yoga class while laying in Savasana- this can feel like pure bliss for me.  But asana precedes this and I have to be careful not to "overdo" it or I'll pay for it later. 

2.  While creating art.  Have you heard about the concept of Flow?  This is how I've always felt when creating- ever since I was a little girl- like time stood still, or rather, like there was no such thing as time when I was(am) in my own little world of "making".  Again, this too is a delicate balance, and I have to carefully listen to my body and its signals (this can be hard when engaged in flow).

I'd like to say this pic is blurry because it's a memory, but the truth is that my camera was dying during this project four years ago and it's one of the only pics I have from that week!  I've created since then, but no one is really around to document it;)

I cherish the moments in life that I am free of physical pain and have a much deeper appreciation now for those times.  Perhaps, this is one of those things that the pain is trying to teach me- to live as fully as I can.  I hope to find more ways to integrate body and mind in the coming year.


this post a part of Reverb10: Reverb 10 is an annual event and online initiative to reflect on your year and manifest what’s next. Use the end of your year as an opportunity to reflect on what's happened, and to send out reverberations for the year ahead.

5 comments:

  1. Thank you for the reminder of Flow. I think I will incorporate that into my post... ;) And I am wishing for many more moments of this for you, the absence of awareness of pain xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for commenting on my blog, as it brought me to you and my heart is filled with your beautiful words. I read all your reverb10 posts and am so inspired by you. Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry to hear about your struggles with pain. It's good to hear though that you have yoga and the flow of creative expression in your life as well. Your experience making art sounds just like what I feel when making music. I LOVE the artwork you have on this site. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, dealing with pain like that is a burden. I suffer from migraines, so it is not constant pain, but debilitating when it happens. I am glad you have found a few ways to send the pain to the background. Flow is a great solution, I know that feeling well. May you find more ways to get to that place so that you can boost that 5% up to a higher number.

    ReplyDelete
  5. CS, thank you for your wish, it really means a lot:)

    Mujerzen, thank you for visiting mine! I'm glad I can be inspiring; that's so nice of you to say:)

    Bob, thanks, thanks, and thanks! And thank goodness for creative expression, huh?

    Mrs. Mediocrity, migraines are a bitch! Thank you for your kind words, and I wish for you to have a pain-free head:)

    ReplyDelete