Thursday, December 16, 2010

I Got All (Both) My Sisters With Me

Prompt: Friendship. How has a friend changed you or your perspective on the world this year? Was this change gradual, or a sudden burst?

Author: Martha Mihalick
Editor at Harper Collins
@curiousmartha

Shit, I can't count my therapist because I pay her, right?  You see, I'm the type of person who has just a few close friends.  And really not a whole lot of acquaintances.  I've been like this most of my life; sure it ebbs and flows (like when I was in college), but for the most part, my sisters have always been my closest friends.  They still are, to this day, and even more so since I had to move back.

I've dreaded this post all day (okay, since last night when I opened it) because sometimes I just feel like a loser whose only friends are her family.  Now, I know this isn't true, but this is how my thinking goes sometimes.  To tell you the truth, I don't think I could feel any luckier in life to have my two best friends be my sisters.


Childhood in our household was one thing (I remember many fights between the three of us,and I remember us banding together for a lot of things as well), but adulthood has brought our closeness to a whole new level.  Even our mutual friends stare in awe at us when we are all together and lament that they wish they were that close with their sibling(s).

I can't remember one specific thing that either of my sisters (I'm a middle kid) said or did this year that changed my perspective.  But the fact that they are willing to bring over a vacuum cleaner when mine breaks or help me get to and from the grocery store so I don't have to carry all those bags on the bus, just tells me that even though I can be a pain in the ass sometimes, they love me and want to see me happy.


These girls give me continued faith in the world.  Yes, we still get in arguments from time to time, but each one is an opportunity to strengthen our bond and our closeness.  I cherish every moment I spend with them laughing, crying, creating, screaming, singing, hoping, dreaming, caring, and uniting for things we believe in.  I am so fortunate. 

this post a part of Reverb10: Reverb 10 is an annual event and online initiative to reflect on your year and manifest what’s next. Use the end of your year as an opportunity to reflect on what's happened, and to send out reverberations for the year ahead.

6 comments:

  1. Hi Emily, I stopped by to thank you for visiting my blog the other day. I was having some days in there, where I needed all the encouragement I could get. I'm not doing Reverb but I love reading all of these. At least I can think about the prompts, if not write about them. I think it's okay not to have a ton of "friends". I've been the same most of my life too. That way you can really pay attention to the ones you do have. And friends out here in the blogosphere count! Hi new friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are fortunate. I know how you feel. Although my sister lives 2000 miles away, I am blessed to call her my friend. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shari- I've met such great peeps just doing reverb! And it's okay to just think about the prompts; that's the important part anyway- to get you thinkin'!

    Shannon, sisters. are. awesome. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I love that picture of the three of you as young rascals! What you have is a gift.

    ReplyDelete
  5. CS, thanks- it's one of my favorites;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are not a loser whose only friends are family - you are a winner BECAUSE your family are your friends. That's more than many people can say!

    I love the pics of the three of you as little rascals and the shot of you as happy adult siblings. All of you are blessed indeed!

    ReplyDelete