Sunday, January 9, 2011

The Cosmos.1

This year, I decided to join Creative Every Day2011.  And while it hasn't been every day (due to sickness and excuses), I have been working little by little on something in my sketchbook.  The theme for January is the cosmos.  The creation can be anything, so it's really wide open, which I like.  It's not finished yet but I thought I'd show you my process and progress:


I didn't get pics of the first couple of processes.  Basically, this is a couple of layers of a watercolor wash and then acrylic white paint for the stars.


If you are into astrology or are a Virgo, you probably recognize this symbol.  If not, hopefully from the two hints in the prior sentence, you know what this is now;)


I decided to add my favorite yoga asana (pose) on the other page; this is the Natarajasana or "King Dancer Pose".  I'm pretty sure this has nothing to do with astrology, but I just love this pose.  Not only do I find it beautiful, but I feel so strong and graceful when I can execute it confidently.  Since my hip surgery almost three months ago, I haven't been able to practice much.  My movement restrictions are lifted in 3 days; I really can't wait to get back to yoga!



I just went over the pencil lines with a sharpie once I was confident with the sketch.


curious kitty!


Then I took a silver paint pen and went inside the lines of the sharpie.  I also added some silver dots to the background.

Like I said, it's not finished yet, but I wanted to post this so I could start feeling a little more connected to the CED community.

13 comments:

  1. This is gorgeous! I love following along with your process....

    I am grateful I found you via CED2010 today!

    Read my CED2011 check in here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, this is an eye catcher of a piece, it's terrific!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, this is gorgeous and such a beautiful representation of "cosmos"! I agree with Julie, I'm very glad to have found you via CED!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you all so much! It's really the first art I've posted in a long while, so it feels really great to get all this feedback. Glad to have found you all, too:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh... how do you get your watercolour washes so vivid? Love the stars, and is that salt I'm sensing? ;) I think the silver pen is the perfect touch - tying it all together. Your dancer pose is gorgeous (and one of my faves too). Am I gushing?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Disclaimer to my next statement: Your piece is really pretty. I especially like the yellows in the upper lefthand corner.

    The Statement:
    I hate that pose. I have actually fallen onto my face out of that pose--which was my body telling me that IT hates that pose too. It is oddly hard to let go out of a pose that your body didn't want to be in in the first place as the floor is hurtling up to your face.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, Missy!

    CS- you can gush any time;) You are so sweet! (and, yep- salt was involved!)

    Thank you, Felicity!

    Yawps, you crack me up, as always;) I've fallen out of many poses before, too. Possibly even this one! But thank you for the compliment:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow!
    that background is so incredibly beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks, Liberty! I'm loving working with watercolors:)

    ReplyDelete