Wednesday, January 19, 2011

For Me? Why, Thank You!


The beautiful gal over at Creatively Sensitive surprised me the other day with a blog award!  She is one of the sweetest people I know- a great cheerleader to many, a strong, yet gentle creative soul, and an amazing photographer.  If you haven't checked her blog out yet, you really should.  She's involved in a lot of creative challenges this year- she is such an inspiration and has become a great friend of mine over the past few months.

Part of the blog award is that you get to answer some questions, and then pass the award on to someone else that you enjoy.  So... here are my answers to the questions:

Q1. If you blog anonymously, are you happy doing this? If you aren't anonymous, do you wish you started out anonymously so that you could be anonymous now?  Nope- not anonymous.  I don't think my last name is anywhere on my blog, but it probably wouldn't be hard to find.  I'm pretty sure you can get here indirectly from my FB profile, too, though I don't advertise this blog over there.  Part of letting go of the shame surrounding my disease is kind of coming out of the dark about it, so I'm glad that I am no longer anonymous. (This started out a "private" blog, but last November, I was inspired to go "public").

Q2. Describe an incident that shows your inner stubborn side.  Though I think I'm pretty forgiving, there are times that I think I have to be uncompromising when I feel I have been wronged.  This, unfortunately results in a stalemate with certain people and family members (we usually get through it, though).  And I hate stale.  However, it has also protected a broken heart. Ummmmm... have you read this post

Q3. What do you really see when you look at yourself in the mirror?  Someone that I know is a great girl.

Q4. What is your favorite summer cold drink?  Margarita(s).  On the rocks.  With salt.  And lots and lots and lots of water.
image by corsi photo

Q5. When you take time for yourself, what do you do?  When the pain is somewhat under control, I love to paint.  And rest.  My dream, though, is to one day own a bathtub that fits all 5' 11" (and 3/4") of me.  I love bubble baths (and if I owned said tub I would probably soak myself pruny because I would be in it all the time!), but they are always so disappointing because I have to choose which part of me gets the good stuff- my legs, or my torso.  It's never both at the same time because apparently, baths were meant to be taken by short people. 

Q6. Is there something you still want to accomplish in your life? How much time do you have?  I want to get my Master's, and my PhD.  I want to travel to Spain, Italy, and Greece.  I want to be there for my son in every way he needs me to be.  I want to sell my paintings, and not just use them for barter (though I'm soooooooo grateful to those who have let me!) or give them away for charity auctions (though I love this, too).  I want to learn how to salsa dance.  I want to go hang gliding.  I want to climb a mountain.  Hmmm.  Maybe I need to make one of those "life lists" that have become so popular on the interwebs these days...

Q7. When you attended school, were you the class clown, the class overachiever, the shy person, or always ditching?  I'd say overachiever, and shy.  I went to a college prep school for high school; coming out of a public school education from k-8, I really felt the pressure to be "smart".  I worked really hard on that.  I've also always been pretty shy- people mistook it for snobbery which is really unfortunate because I'm one of the least snobby people I know (that sounds snobby, doesn't it?  Dang.) 

Q8. If you close your eyes and want to visualize a very poignant moment in your life, what would you see?  Looking into my (then)fiance's eyes and telling him I was pregnant.  At nineteen.  So many emotions!

Q9. Is it easy for you to share your true self in your blog, or are you more comfortable writing posts about other people or events?   I enjoy sharing my true self- it's really hard to know how much to share online, though.  I'm sure anyone reading this can relate.  But I think the parts that make us human, make us feel connected.  And I really love feeling connected.  And starting sentences with the word "And" (it makes me feel rebellious). 

image by hashmil

Q10. If you had the choice to sit down and read a book or talk on the phone, which would you do and why?  I'd definitely read a book.  I don't know why, but I hate talking on the phone.  I like writing letters (the old school "snail-mail" way or through email and social networking sites) to people or seeing them in person to stay in touch.  Something about the phone makes me feel so awkward- even with close friends.  I'm not sure why.

I'm so thankful for all of the people I've met, connected with, and reconnected with online.  The best purchase I made last year with my disability money was my laptop (and catching up on my rent with my ever-patient landlord!).  Having said that, I'd like to pass this award on to Lisa of Life Unity.  She is an amazing woman, yogi, mama, wife, etc. who bares her soul so honestly and openly with readers.  She ponders the deep and nagging questions of life with great awareness and humor.  She's been on my regular, daily reading list since I got a computer again!  Check out her blog for some great discussion.  And thank you, Lisa, for reminding me that Life Is Good!

6 comments:

  1. Weren't the questions fun, and kind of nostalgic in the reverb sense?! Okay, off to get a kleenex to wipe my eyes from all that lovely descriptive stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally reminiscent of Reverb:) Thanks, again, for giving me the blog award!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, you are on a roll!!!
    Recently I got a surprise… I got a stylish blogger award. I am passing it on to you because I love your blog and want to get it read by even more people. See my recent post for the list with your blog on it!

    So here are the rules for acceptance of the award:

    1. Thank and link back to the person who awarded you this award.
    2. Share 7 things about yourself.
    3. Award 5 recently discovered great bloggers.
    4. Contact these bloggers and tell them about the award.

    There is a button that goes with the award. Click on mine and copy the properties into your own blog.

    xo, S

    ReplyDelete
  4. S- you are SO sweet! Thank you so much:) I will get to these this weekend- can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I cannot BELIEVE I am just getting to this. I am in TEARS right now, seriously! Your answers were enough to bring me there, but your kind words at the end?? I would be bawling if my kids & hubby weren't playing the video game in the room right now. (They think I'm odd enough - hah!)

    I LOVE your responses. The bathtub? I'm 5'8-5'9 and have had the same problem. We got uber-lucky moving into our house as they had a tub in which I can actually stretch out! If you are ever in So. Indiana, you'll have to try it out. :) And yes, yes, yes to everything...you are a GREAT girl (in the mirror and otherwise) and if you ever make it to Italy? Well, that's one of my goals too so maybe we'd have to meet up. :)

    Again, i apologize as I was on a bit of a computer break the past few days...but THANK YOU THANK YOU.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aw, Lis! You're welcome- thanks for being such an inspiration to ME! And... I may just take you up on that bathtub thing- seriously, it's like one of the first things I notice when I go to someone's house for the first time. I just eye their big tub with my big ol' jealous eyes:)

    ReplyDelete