Thursday, February 3, 2011

Stretching

Today, I stepped onto my yoga mat, and it felt like home.  I know so many yogis who say this, but it really feels good to remember to breathe deeply and stretch your muscles.  Today, I was reminded of how I even got into yoga in the first place.

When I was 21, my son was just a year old, and I quit my waitressing job for something I thought would be more fulfilling.  I trained to become a direct assistant to developmentally disabled adults.  I met some incredible people along the way, but the main home I was in for a year and a half, housed two amazing females that I would grow to love as friends. 

Mostly, I was the "day" person.  I would help them with things like laundry, cooking, banking, taking them to doctor's appointments.  Occasionally the company would have "socials", like a barbeque in the park or something, but for the most part, it was up to us to get these ladies out and about.  Tried my darnedest, I did, but both my gals loved their "alone time" and I couldn't very well argue with that, since I, too, liked to be left alone sometimes.

On our "down time", they would often retreat to their respective rooms, though one would sit in the living room with me on occasion and work on her crossword puzzles.  I had a lot more down time than I thought, so after taking care of all the necessities and making sure the ladies were happy, I'd sit right down on their living room floor and just stretch. 

This felt sooooooooo good to me!  I did this nearly every day for weeks- one of the ladies would sometimes look up from her crosswords, cock her head, and ask "What are you doing???"  I told her I was stretching and that it felt fantastic and asked her if she would like to try.  She looked at me like I had just asked her to cut off her left arm!  She was so funny.

Eventually, I started remembering that old show on PBS from when I was younger with the lady that had the long braid who did that thing called, "Yoga".  I decided I would go to the local library and check out some books on the subject.  Soon enough, I was falling feet over head several times while attempting the "headstand".  I forget which book it was, but it had you start out with the headstand!  I probably fell forty-five times that first night in our little attic apartment, trying very hard not to wake the baby with my laughter.  Boy was I determined!

And to this day, I'm still determined.  I probably push it a little too far (even my most recent yoga teacher told me to work at about 50% of what I was giving), but I'm learning to listen to my body and what it needs.  Twelve years later, and it still feels just as good as the first time I stretched out on Kim and Rachel's living room floor.


View from my yoga mat this morning.  Home.

2 comments:

  1. Ahhh, you remind me exactly why I love yoga...and what a damn fool I am for not doing it regularly (when I have absolutely no excuse no to). Tonight, I'm breaking out the dvd. THANK YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shannon, it just feels so goooooooood;)

    ReplyDelete