Friday, March 11, 2011

Opportunities and Balance

As I head off to Indy to celebrate my son turning 13 this weekend, I am filled with great gratitude that I get to spend time with him and other family and friends in Indiana this weekend.  My thoughts go out to all those affected by today's earthquake and subsequent tsunami; may their pain and suffering be relieved soon. 

I was hoping to run a test print on my latest woodcut before going out of town, but this phrenology head has been labor intensive for my poor little fingers.  So I thought I'd show you guys some of the progress- it's not finished though, so no judging!


I'm making it a sort of DIY Phrenology head; an interactive piece, if you will.  I left all of the spaces blank so whoever buys a print can fill them in with their own ideas/nonsense.  If you don't know much about Phrenology heads, this is a great site to get educated. 

I recently applied for a grant for a reduced booth fee at this year's St. Louis Earth Day Festival and got approved- there will be over 25,000 people moving through this event, so I thought I'd just go for it!  I will be selling some of my paintings and woodcuts there.  I may have to do a little fundraising in order to pay the rest of the booth fee, so I'm thinking about opening an Etsy site just for my art.

I also submitted three paintings to a juried show called "New Beginnings" down at the Soulard Art Market.  I should know something from them by the end of March (like if I got accepted!).  So... fingers crossed.  Hurty, painful, sore fingers crossed!

With all of this going on (plus a ton of other exciting stuff!), I am striving to find and maintain a sense of balance.  I'm busier than I've been in a few years, and while I'm loving every minute of it, there are times I've had to force myself to take breaks.  I know I tend to push it and then things can get really bad for me pain-wise, so I've got to be careful.

Omg- I can't believe I'm the mom of a teenager now.

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on all the great things you've got going on right now. Hearing about the grant and what opportunities that booth might bring to you is fantastic. Very happy for you, my dear. It is much deserved.

    Have fun with your son. Enjoy your time with him and happy 13th!!

    xo, Shannon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, S:) I had a great time!

    ReplyDelete