Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Phrenology Test Print (and my trip!)

Test prints are a way to tell if your woodcut block is carved the way you want it to be.  It can be tricky to tell how a print will turn out after you make all of the cuts; therefore, a test print is necessary to see how it will turn out.  After a test print, I usually make some adjustments (i.e. more cuts) to get it where I want it to be.

Here's what I've got so far:

finished (kinda') wood block


test print on newsprint (cheap paper)

I'm mostly happy with how it turned out, but I definitely want to cut more in some places.  So that will be on my "to do" list tomorrow- after I take a nice long walk.  It's supposed to be in the mid 60's and sunny tomorrow so I can't wait to be outside in the almost-spring weather! (It snowed 4 inches here yesterday-wtf)

I had a great time in Indianapolis visiting my son and seeing some friends.  My little sister, her almost 3 year old son, and I drove there on Friday and got back Sunday night.  It was a whirlwind weekend that was packed to the gills with greatness, but my body took two days to recover.  For some reason, whenever I travel and have to sit for an extended period of time, my pain can be horrendous.  My back and hips were screaming for mercy when I got home.

But it was all SO worth it!  Here are a few pics from the trip:


there is just something so precious about this pic of my nephew

Quent sharing his birthday shake with Jack
They were dressed like twins on both days they were together- unplanned (it was really cute)


Jack "playing" video games at Quentin's birthday party
He hung pretty well with the big kids (and Quent is always so good with him; it's really sweet)


My old house in Indy!  And yes- it really is that small; Quent used to call it "the mouse house".
Can you believe it's a two-bedroom???

Sittin' on "the stoop" just like old times.  I rented this house from 2002-2005; it's in the same neighborhood as my ex-husband and his wife, just a few streets up and over.  We went to see it the last day I was there because someone had bought it, rehabbed it, and was selling it.  There was an open house later that day so we just decided to go and look in all the windows.  It really brought back a lot of memories and got me thinking again about seriously moving back.  Not that I could afford that house, but it's definitely been on my mind.

Since I'm back in St. Louis now and my body has rested, I'm going to focus on the busy three months ahead of me.  I'll revisit the moving back thing once I've followed through on all of my commitments here.  So for now... more work on the phrenology head!

No comments:

Post a Comment