Monday, April 25, 2011

Sometimes You Just Gotta' Go With the Flow (and have dirty dishes)



Wow.  Seriously?  I can't believe it's been this long since I've posted..  Talk about biting off more than you can chew!  This past month has been nothing but crazy for me and the dishes in my kitchen are proof.  And I'm simultaneously updating my esty shop while I write this post.

Three years ago, I wouldn't have thought this amount of activity possible.  I just may have taken on a little too much, which I blame on the lovely Cinderita ;).  If you don't read her blog, you should- she is so full of love and life and spreading it around into the world.  I'm pretty sure I was supposed to do a guest post this month, but I just don't think I'm going to get around to it.  (soon, I promise!)

There's still so much to be done and more I want to do, but the thing is, is that my body doesn't always cooperate.  And this "hand-printing" thing just got outta' control- I wanted to have more than enough on Earth Day, so my hands paid the price.  I couldn't grip anything for about three days afterwards!

And it turns out... I've got a whole lot of extra prints.  So if you are interested in any of them, go here!

My apartment basically became a print shop for the week leading up to the festival!

Oh yeah- and the other thing- the art opening at the Soulard Art Market and Contemporary Gallery was awesome.  My entire family (sans my dad and my son, both of whom live out of town) came to support me! There was a great turn out, live music, beer and food, and the weather was great, too.  I can't wait to enter more shows.  This one was on sort of a whim, to see if I could get accepted, so I'm looking for other opportunities to show some of my art.

My sisters and I in front of one of my pieces at the SAM show

I'm worn out, but at the same time, excited about the possibilities.  I mentioned at the beginning of this post how I didn't think it'd be possible just three years ago due to my health situation.  This change has not occurred overnight; it's been extremely gradual with a LOT of experimenting on my part.  Different drugs, different exercise programs, different doctors, and all sorts of support from my family has made this all possible.

I still think daily, about my son and our situation.  I hate that he is miles away, but that's another thing I work hard at- preserving our relationship.  I've had to endure many tears, worries, and anxieties about being away from him during this time in my life, and it has taught me a lot.  I've had to learn how to be a mama from afar.  It's definitely been heart-wrenching at times, but I don't know how I could have gotten "better" any other way than coming home to St. Louis.

As for the future, it still remains to be seen.  I'm taking things day by day and trying to glean the lessons.  In the meantime, I'm excited to make more art now that I'm learning to listen to my body.  When life gives you a splinter, take it out, and keep on going!

 



2 comments:

  1. Lovely to catch up on what you are doing. I've been thinking about you and how the art show went and the earth day prints.

    I hear ya about the parenting from afar. It's been my struggle as of late too.

    Hang in there. Get some rest and keep plugging along.

    xo, Shannon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much, Shannon! I've been thinking a lot about you, too, and your situation with your daughter. You're a good mama, and she'll realize that soon enough:)

    ReplyDelete